Let me just say,
State Championships have kinda become a Fotu Family tradition.
NOW that may sound a little arrogant and biased
but its True :)
so what if I am biased,
my mother has always told me that.
But this is my blog, I can say what I want right!?
Of the 4 oldest Fotu children
we've had 5 State Championships
and the 6th was added on Friday.
Although I could go on and on about the athletic ability
of each of my siblings, I wont.
Because this is what I have come to conclude.....
I believe there have been 3 major reasons
that each of us have succeeded
1. We have been EXTREMELY blessed to live where we live.
We have been surrounded with athletes of tremendous talent,
and have been blessed to work with wonderful coaches, teachers, and teammates.
I could not ask for a better place to call Home!
2. We have been blessed beyond measure with goodly parents.
Parents whom at a VERY young age
taught us to trust in the Lord, dream big, set goals, work hard,
and believe that no mountain was too high.
lastly.....
3. Heavenly Father has provided each of us with opportunities
that we never imagined.
It is because of him we have been able to play the sports we play
go the places we've gone, meet the life long friends we have,
and learn the lessons we've learned.
Throughout the years
I've learned many lessons from coaches, teammates,
teachers, friends, parents, and each of my siblings.
But this last champion has ingrained a few more lessons into my heart
that I will never forget.
Jake has always been an amazing athlete.
Deciding to play football his senior year
was a decision he truly debated over for a long time.
But once he made that decision
it was ALL or nothing for him.
I cannot recall the countless days throughout the summer
that he was up before the sun
and Home just in time for dinner and bed.
His commitment and work ethic was inspiring to all who watched
and as the football season began
we all knew it was going to be one to remember.
His team went undefeated through the regular season
and they held the #1 ranking for most of the year.
They marched on to defeat Fremont in the Championship game
and finished off a perfect season 14-0
Bringing home Lone Peak's 1st ever Football Championship.
The newspapers, reporters, awards, and accolades
will tell you all you wish to know about the talent of each of these boys.
But what you wont find there is this.....
Each of these boys are brothers.
Each of these boys are leaders.
Each of these boys
were willing to give ANYTHING to watch the others succeed.
What you wont find is that the day before every game
10-20 of these boys could be found at the Temple
honoring their Father in Heaven.
What you wont find is that one of those boys
went down with an injury while going through a warm-up routine
before the first game of the playoffs.
He soon learned that his ACL was completely gone
and he would not finish the season on the field with his team.
He sat out through the semi-final game
but he realized it meant nothing if he didn't finish.
Sure he was on the team all year long,
he was a part of their success
But that was not how he wanted to finish.
The Championship game came
and #7 was dressed and ready on the sidelines.
The game was thrilling :)
The team was marching on to victory
and the margin was great.
So in he went for his final fight!
The first few plays he felt GREAT!
But as he went up to defend a pass, a defender came down on his knee
His teammates gasped,
and those who knew the circumstances knew it was over.
He was down, and he couldn't get up.
But let me tell you this.....
In that moment
some of his closest friends and teammates carried him off the field,
and those who watched couldn't help but notice something odd
He was smiling :)
he couldn't walk, his pain was almost unbearable
but his face held a grin from ear to ear!
He had finished his fight.
Together they had won the battle
and he was smiling!
Sure the memories will last a lifetime,
the rings and trophies will shine for years to come
But to me there is so much more....
To me the memories I will remember
will be that of brothers,
bound together with courage and strength,
honoring the Lord in all they did,
encouraging each other and lifting one another,
all the way to the very end.
I am grateful for them.
For their examples of Faith, Honor, and Perseverance.
And I am ever grateful for that #7
for never giving up,
for fighting to the finish
and for giving me strength to do the same.
I love you Jake!
Always and Forever
Selu Marie
xoxo




No comments:
Post a Comment