Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Oh SO thankful!



Today
I realized the beauty of little things....
little things that lead to big things

Things that may not mean anything to others
but they mean the world to me!

This semester and fall semester
I've been very blessed with a GREAT english teacher
I've always enjoyed writing
and its probably one of my better
scholastic strengths
(of the very few I actually have)

But anyways,
this teacher doesn't teach a normal English class
or at least not what I expected
He tends to LOVE to have
debates
arguments
about topics that can get pretty heated.....

And
well to say the least I seem to ALWAYS find myself
at the center of these "arguments"
He always wants to know what THE Mormon thinks about things
what I believe,
and how my religious culture has affected my daily life.

It's actually been somewhat eye opening for me
to hear others views
and some of the questions he has pushed my way
have REALLY made me think!
A few of my classmates have expressed
their personal beliefs of Atheism
and in turn he has expressed that He too has a hard time believing
in a higher power and has decided it is just easier not to.
Hence his curiosity with Me, the MORMON :)

But the other day he asked me a pretty simple question

"Selu, do you believe you have a Soul?", he asked.

he had previously proceeded to ask the entire class
but saw that I did not raise my hand with all the others.
"A soul?", I asked.
"Yes, like you know some people believe its another being
thats trapped inside your body.
But what do you believe?"
"and where could we find your soul?"
Well...........
I thought, as I took a long pause

the word Soul kinda threw me off for a second
but then I knew exactly what he was talking about :)
it was a TOTAL AH HAH moment!
"Well, I believe I have a spirit." I said.
he looked puzzled
"But my spirit is not of actual substance,
you won't be able to find it if you go digging
through my body."

he then proceeded to ask where my "Spirit" goes when I die
and I told him that it leaves the body.
He seemed somewhat pleased with my brief and unwavering description
and decided to inquire of another students thoughts on the matter.

And I smiled to myself :)

so many people out there wonder and question,
some even give up hope that they will ever know
and although my faith is FAR from perfect
and I too have questions

But I can also have faith beyond my own
at times when I need just a little bit of help......

faith of parents and siblings,
faith of grandparents and great-grandparents,
aunts and uncles
prophets and apostles,
and above all a loving savior who lends his strength to me
in my deepest hours of need
and for that
I am THANKFUL :)


No comments:

Post a Comment